Getting your roof cleaned preserves the life of your asphalt, cedar, slate, and tile roof.
Getting your roof cleaned with soft roof washing removes algae, grit, grime, mold, mildew, moss, and soot. As well as restore your roof color and appearance. Roof washing is especially vital for homes in humid environments like Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess County, N.Y.
Listed below are 7 things every homeowner should know about residential roof washing and why it is important to get your roof cleaned:
- Roof washing requires skill and is very dangerous. Do not do it yourself.
- All roofs are best cleaned with a soft wash system.
- Moss and algae are can cause severe damage to roof shingles.
- Debris does not have to be seen from the ground to be severe enough to damage to your roof and void your roof warranty.
- Roof washing is cheap compared to replacing your roof.
- Roof washing is a valuable investment for curb appeal and your home’s resale value.
- Roofs in need of cleaning are less efficient, raise your electric bill and can get your homeowner’s insurance canceled.
To protect your investment in your home, it’s appearance, condition, and appraised value, roof washing along with home exterior pressure cleaning is critical.
Are you selling or refinancing your home?
Did you know a house that has a clean roof, siding, walkways, patio, and deck appraises hire than a dirty house?
Curb appeal helps your home look better kept, newer and more attractive. We work with real estate agents in Armonk, Scarsdale, Bronxville, Chappaqua, Bedford, and White Plains who call us to get the roof cleaned and house pressure cleaning when selling client’s homes. A home buyer will pay more money for a home that looks like new due to pressure washing and roof cleaning. A dirty house, roof, patio, deck, stair, or siding gives the impression the house needs costly repairs.
Professional Roof Soft Washing Is Not A DIY Job
Don’t assume you can rent a pressure washer and wash your roof on your own. There are many reasons why properly cleaning your home’s roof is not a Do It Yourself job. Below are some of those reasons:
- Balancing on a roof is dangerous. Standing on a roof, flat or sloped, with a pressure washer is difficult. Many DIY roof cleaners and handymen fall of the roof and some through the roof. Falling off a roof can result in serious injury and even death.
- High-pressure washing will damage your shingles and may result in needing to have your roof replaced. Plus, your shingles may come loose in high winds and strong storms. Spraying shingles from below can result in dangerous splatter.
- A proper and thorough roof washing takes some skill and expertise. Reaching dirt, moss, mold, mildew, lichens, and debris hidden between the cracks and crevices of roofing shingles requires experience. Youtube videos on “how to clean roof shingles” will not make you an expert nor save your roof from getting damaged. As professional pressure washers, Westchester Power Washing knows how to clean around chimneys, vents, flashing, without causing damaging.
- As professional power washers, Westchester Power Washing knows the right detergent to safely and properly clean your roof. You can damage your roof and the toxic chemicals also damage your health, pets, foliage, and house.
For these reasons, leave the roof washing to Westchester Power Washing. With more than 30 years of experience and 18,000 homes washed, we know what to do to beautify your home.
How Does Westchester Power Washing Get Your Roof Cleaned?
We use a soft roof washing system which is a low-pressure rinse to remove dirt. This pressure is slightly stronger than a garden hose with a spray nozzle. Low-pressure rinsing won’t loosen or old, brittle roofs and won’t wash away damaged granules along their surfaces.
Moss and Algae Damage Roofs
Moss and algae are especially damaging to a home’s roof. They hold extra moisture against roof shingles and roof paper; this added moisture causes shingles to get soft and crumbly and can cause roofing paper to tear, leading to water leaks.
Unlike other debris on a home’s roof, moss, algae, mold, and mildew continue to grow over time. These contaminants can work their way under a home’s roofing shingles and eventually dislodge those tiles as they continue to spread. Never assume you can ignore moss, algae, and other such growth on your roof. Overlooking needed roof washing can lead to a damaged roof and interior water leaks.
Don’t Wait Until Algae and Other Debris Are Visible to Schedule To Get Your Roof Cleaned
A homeowner should never wait until they see lines of algae or moss along roofing shingles or roof edges to schedule power washing for their home. Note why that is, and when you should have your home’s roof washed:
- Algae, moss, mold, and mildew grow best in damp, dark spaces, away from air and sunlight. For a residential roof, these spaces are typically under and around roofing tiles and shingles, in areas unseen from below or during casual visual inspection.
- Once algae and other such debris begin to form, they will grow and spread, dislodging and softening roofing tiles. The more humid the environment, the faster these contaminants will increase so that a roof then suffers quite a bit of damage in a short amount of time.
- Consistent washing of a roof will remove wet leaves, twigs, seeds, and other debris that can cause algae, mold, and other contaminants to grow in the first place! Regular power washing can then prevent damage to the roof and ensure it always looks its best.
FREE ESTIMATES ON GETTING YOUR ROOF CLEANED, HOUSE PRESSURE CLEANING, SIDING, PATIOS, DECK, WALKWAYS, STAIRS, AND FENCES CALL OR TEXT (914)490-8138